Pages

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Mommy Soup??



"I live on good soup, not on fine words." -Moliere 
 
And so begins....the story of a mother of three.  Well, the mother of two boys and a newborn girl on her lap!  And no time to cook. And no time to clean. And absolutely no "alone" time.  Every mother has a different story of what it was like to come home with your newborn.  You want company, you don't want company.  You need help, you don't need help.  It's a whirlwind of baby stuff laying around you and you are tired, and if nursing, very very sore!  I was grateful to my mom for helping me out and bringing me food, and my mother in law for doing the same.  I was grateful to the local church women who also brought me some really good food, and that is where Tortellini Soup was inspired!  I was told it was a "secret" recipe stolen from a restaurant chef and I was not to even ask where or how I can make this warm, comforting soup!  So, a year later and dozens of "I tried", I came up with this one!!!!  I am going to be egocentric when I say I think its the BEST, (even better than that famous restaurant)....and perfect for that new mom!  ***Made in advance and allowed to sit in the refrigerator for a night or so, makes it even better!***


ITALIAN VEGETABLE TORTELLINI SOUP

1/2 lb. ground Italian pork sausage ( I use spicy)
1 onion, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
42 oz. chicken broth
1/2 cup white wine
28 oz. can crushed tomatoes in tomato puree
2 zucchini, quartered lengthwise and sliced
2 carrots, peeled and diced
3 stalks celery, diced
1 green pepper, diced
1 t. dried basil
1/2 t. dried oregano
Cheese Tortellini (I buy Family size pkg.)
1/2 t. salt
1/2 t. pepper
2/3 cup shredded Parmesan cheese (optional)

Brown sausage in a Dutch oven over medium heat.  Drain, but leave a small amount of drippings in pan.
Add onion and garlic, cook until just tender.  Add broth, wine, vegetables and seasonings; bring to a boil.
Add uncooked Tortellini, reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes or until vegetables are tender.  Add salt and pepper to taste.  Sprinkle servings with Parmesan, if desired.  Makes 8 servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment